Question

Breech Baby
Dear Doc,
Please tell me what are the chances of a baby turning around into the proper head-down position from 35 weeks onwards? Is there still enough space to turn around completely from a breech position?

If he doesn't turn, I've decided not to have a manual/external "version" done because of the risks and low success rate, but then what are my options regarding birth? Do doctors prefer to do a c-section or will I still have the option of delivering vaginally? What risks are involved with a natural breech delivery?

Thank you!

There is a chance that the baby may turn, but fairly small. I cannot give you an exact figure - probably in the region of 2%. If you decide a against version, an elective caesarean is the safest method of delivery. A recent large has shown that vaginal breech deliveries have more complications in terms of the head getting stuck,etc, which could result in the death of the baby.