Question

Broken wrist
18 March I broke my wrist & had the X-fix on. While it was on I noticed my ring finger had a pins 'n needles sensation. It is still that way & I've been going to physio. The dr says it should come right by itself, can this be?
Rehabilitation after injury

Dear Lisa

It is possible that you may have compressed the ulnar and/or median nerve while it was in the X-fix and this is causing pins-and-needles sensation (parasthesia) in the finger. Another cause of parasthesia is lack of blood flow to the finger. Does your finger have a different, possibly bluish, colour compared to the other fingers of the hand? You should discuss your symptoms with your physiotherapist as well. Your physiotherapist should be able to grade the degree of parasthesia, and possibly determine what is most likely causing it. If the fracture has healed without complication and there are no lose fragments in the wrist, this should resolve soon. If you are concerned that there might be more serious nerve or vascular damage, get a second opinion from a neurologist.