Question

Building muscle
I have been excercing for the past 6 weeks doing a combination of aerobics and strength training. I have also started walking 5km on saturdays. I am eating a balanced diet as well

When I went for an ssessmnt at my gym I found that I have not lost not even 1KG over the past 6 weeks. The assesor told me that I have gained muscles. How long will it take before I start loosing weight. I have to loose 10KG.

HI there

Think about it - you have gained muscle and your weight has remained the same, which means you have lost fat!!! This is excellent news, since fat is what you want to lose (not just any weight). Extra muscle tissue means your metabolic rate will increase slightly, meaning you will be burning more energy (even at rest), making it easier to lose more fat!! So hang in there. Keep up with the programme, and I have no doubt that you will soon see some kilos coming off. My recommendation is to keep your body measurements eg hips, waist and thigh and use this as a measure of success as the fat comes off rather than focussing only on a scale (whichin fact gives very limited info).

Good luck.