Question

Building Muscle
Hi there...
My problem is as follows: I'm a 21 yearold male and I weigh bout 65kg's. I would really like to know of a muscle builder that can help me to build muscles fast.
I have approx 2hours a day for excercise but I dont have access to a gym.
Can you maybe give advice on how to train and what the best muscle builder would be for my weight? I can jog or swim...

Pls respond, thank you very much

Hi there

In terms of building muscle using diet and supplements, diet is obviously the key, and cheaper and easier to address than training perhaps. You must make sure that for building mass and especially muscle mass, that you are eating enough proteins and carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are important as the body's main source of energy during exercise. Feelings of fatigue, lack of energy, tiredness are all indications of a lack of carbohydrates in the diet. Foods that contain carbohydrates include rice, potatoes, pasta, bread etc. Any starchy food is a good bet.

Then, in terms of proteins, you must try to eat meats, fish, eggs etc. as good sources of proteins. Ideally, these types of foods should make up 30% of your diet, with carbohydrates about 60 to 70%. Fats should be kept to a minimum of about 10 to 20%.

I am not a huge fan of supplements, especially at the beginning of training - you have so much to tap into with regards to exercise and training, that I believe supplementation can wait for much later. However, if you do believe you must supplement, then consider a protein milkshake supplement as the safest bet.

Then finally, keep in mind that you must train properly to increase mass, and eating well is not enough on its own.

If your aim were to build muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
• Perform 6-10 reps at a high intensity - use a weight that you could lift 12 to 15 times
• Perform 3-4 sets
• Rest 30-60 seconds between reps
• Train each muscle group at least once or twice a week
• Allow 48 hours rest between each muscle’s workout

If your aim were to tone muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
• Perform 10-15 reps but at a much lower intensity - use a weight that would allow you to lift the weight at least 25 times.
• Perform 4-6 sets
• Rest 30-60 seconds between reps

A really good website that you can go to to find out more about weight training is the following:
http://www.health24.co.za/specials/buc/buc.start.asp
It contains good advice, explanations and assistance with the different types of exercises for different body parts, and even programmes for different types of people. Well worth a look. You may be able to adapt many of these exercises for home use. Otherwise, go to the Fitness page of the Health 24 site, click on Programmes, and select any one of these, wher eyou will find home exercises you can do.