Question

Bull Terrier. Sores on tummy

I have a 4 year old brindle and white bully girlie, speyed and full of beans, on the go all the time.

She has a typical " white bully"  pink tummy. I noticed that she developed a sore around one of her teats that had a scab and was inflamed around it.

I thought she had injured herself while running around the garden. I treated it with a homeopathic remedy " All heal"  Bio Oil, and Tea Tree Oil but it did not get better. I then noticed one of her other teats became inflamed . I thought it may be a dematitis/mange thing and treated with with a dermo cream I have, no result.

I have had her at the Vet, he took a scaping and examined it, pronouncing no dermatitis. He said it could be sunburn ? He gave her 2 injections, " to reduce the inflamation"  and a sun screen. I doubt the sunburn theory as she always lies in the sun and this has never happened before.

I can't use the sun screen as it should not be applied to open wounds. Have you any idea what it can be as I am not too thrilled with the Vets prognosis. What else can I use to clear up the sores.? Thank you.

Hi Daddy

Sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time with your vet. It is difficult for me to comment on what is happening as I do not have enough clinic history / visual appraisal of the problem.

You may have a bacterial/fungal/yeast infection or there could be neoplasia (benign/malignant). I would advise that you do a fungal/bacterial swab for culture and sensitivity and/or put on a prolonged course of antibiotics/antifungals and/or take multiple biopsy’s of the area in question for histopathology.

Histopathology (lab testing of a sample) will be of great help in determining the disease process and from there treatment/surgery can be implemented.

Please go back to your vet and discuss your frustration. If you are still unhappy with service delivery then make an appointment with another vet.