Ask an expert

21 Jun 2011

Bull Terrier. Sores on tummy
Hi Doc

I have a 4 year old brindle and white bully girlie, speyed and full of beans, on the go all the time.

She has a typical " white bully"  pink tummy. I noticed that she developed a sore around one of her teats that had a scab and was inflamed around it.

I thought she had injured herself while running around the garden. I treated it with a homeopathic remedy " All heal"  Bio Oil, and Tea Tree Oil but it did not get better. I then noticed one of her other teats became inflamed . I thought it may be a dematitis/mange thing and treated with with a dermo cream I have, no result.

I have had her at the Vet, he took a scaping and examined it, pronouncing no dermatitis. He said it could be sunburn ? He gave her 2 injections, " to reduce the inflamation"  and a sun screen. I doubt the sunburn theory as she always lies in the sun and this has never happened before.

I can't use the sun screen as it should not be applied to open wounds. Have you any idea what it can be as I am not too thrilled with the Vets prognosis. What else can I use to clear up the sores.? Thank you.
Answer 813 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Daddy

Sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time with your vet. It is difficult for me to comment on what is happening as I do not have enough clinic history / visual appraisal of the problem.

You may have a bacterial/fungal/yeast infection or there could be neoplasia (benign/malignant). I would advise that you do a fungal/bacterial swab for culture and sensitivity and/or put on a prolonged course of antibiotics/antifungals and/or take multiple biopsy’s of the area in question for histopathology.

Histopathology (lab testing of a sample) will be of great help in determining the disease process and from there treatment/surgery can be implemented.

Please go back to your vet and discuss your frustration. If you are still unhappy with service delivery then make an appointment with another vet.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.