Question

Bunion
Hi Doctor

I have a bunion on my big toe that seems to be getting worse and worse. By the end of everyday my toe aches and is very red and inflamed. I have tried wearing differest shoes but I experience pain regardless. I am 25 years old would you suggest I have it operated on as I heard that the operation to remove is not always successful and does not always heal pain free.
Can leaving it cause foot problems?
Thank you.
Foot expert

Unfortunately a bunion that is getting progressively worse sounds like surgery is your best option, especially if it is beginning to impact on your lifestyle. Yes there is a small risk of failure whenever any surgery is contemplated, but if you follow this advice you should be ok
1)If you are in constant chronic pain due to the bunion, you should have it corrected.
2) There are surgoens who have a specific interest in foot and ankle surgery, and I would advise you to find through your GP an orthopaedic surgeon who is a foot and ankle specialist
3) get advice from one or two different doctors and go with the one you feel the most comfortable

Yes leaving it can cause you to have marked paun not ony in your feet but your ankle knees and back