Question

Burned out, amino acids, etc
Dear Doc

I am at the moment totally burned out. I suffer from major depression, an anxiety disorder and was even hospitalized earlier this year. I also have a very stressful job and sit in traffic for hours every day. At the moment I am extremely fatigued and my immune system seems to be non-existant. I suffer from extremely dry eyes and have tried everything known to man and nothing seems to make a big difference. I work in a dry, dusty environment. I spoke to my doctor about it and he suggested that I have my amino acid balance checked and that we then supplement these amino acids for six months. Problem is: At minimum it will cost R600 just for the test, take 1 month for the results and the supplements will then be R600 per month for six month. Medical aid does not pay. Can't I just take some form of amino acid supplement in any case? I would really like to feel better and feel that I can get up in the morning again.

Dear Gloria
I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so down and stressed at the moment. You can buy products like Cellufresh from any pharmacy to treat the dry eyes - discuss this with the pharmacist. If you eat meat, fish, eggs, dairy products and drink milk, then there is no need to take amino acid supplements, because all these foods are rich in proteins which are made up of amino acids. From what you say, I would think that you require a complete vitamin and mineral supplement, rather than amino acids. Try taking Centrum or Supradyn Forte for a month to see if this makes a difference. Vitamins and minerals like iron and zinc play a much more important role in building up immunity, preventing exhaustion, and helping the nervous system to function effectively than amino acids per se. In addition, the use of an omega-3 supplement (Salmon oil capsules which you can buy at a chemist) will also boost your immune system. You may also find that doing deep breathing exercises a few times a day and relaxing exercises like yoga will destress you and help to combat the depression.
Hope you soon feel better