Question

Burning of front part of foot when running/walking
I walk a lot and have started to walk/run in the evening. I have a prickly burning from the ball of my right foot to the toes. It actually becomes very uncomfortable when walking/running. I wear cross trainers from Nike and have been wearing them for about 3 months. The sensation stops after I finish my excersises. It normally starts after I have done about 3 km. Can you help

Hi Julia

It might simply be the socks that you are wearing - I always wear a cushioned tennis sock to run in - otherwise I also get burning. However, perhaps also check that your blood sugar is normal and that you are not at risk of diabetes.

Diabetes is a serious condition which can have many effects on the feet, including:

.....Nerve damage, resulting in numbness, extensive burning, pain, coldness, "pins and needles" or tingling while at rest. These nerves may actually affect the "position" sense, so that the joints or bones actually collapse with time.

If neither of these is the cause, perhaps go to see a podiatrist in your area.

Good luck.