Question

C section
How do I firm up loose tummy flab after a c section and will the loose skin ever firm again

HI Sam

The only was to lose weight and to firm up is regular exercise, consisting of both cardio and resistance training. cardiovascular-type activities are preferential for weight loss. These include activities such as walking, jogging, cycling, aerobics, swimming etc. It is important to exercise between 4 and 5 times a week, for a minimum of 30 to 45 minutes each session. It is also ideal to work at a moderate to hard intensity, but for a longer duration. You should aim to do these sessions at an intensity that allows you to complete the session without feeling completely exhausted, but having worked up a good sweat and feeling that your breathing and metabolic rate are elevated. A moderate intensity is certainly the way to go - if you train too easily, nothing will happen, and if you train too hard, then you soon become tired and burned out. So, aim for an intensity that will allow you to finish a session and recover by the next one. If you feel like you are carrying a whole week's worth of training in your body, then you are traininig too hard. Other than intensity, the rest is easy - you just have to go out and get those sessions in. Of course, if you are just starting out, then I would suggest starting off by training every other day, and possibly for only 20 minutes. THen you should aim to build up gradually until you reach the 30 to 45 minutes, 4 or 5 times a week mark.

The resistance training is also very important because this is how you gain muscle definition and tone up, creating the appearance of having well defined abs, thighs etc. however, note that this is only successful if accompanied by cardio training - you can't just do stomach exercises every day and see results.

I"m not sure if you are at a gym, but if you are then the best thing to do is to get the circuit in when you go, making sure that you do each activity with about 12 to 15 reps, and do 3 sets of each.