Question

calcaneus fracture than bone infection
hope you can help, I was in a car accident last year May and had
a calcaneus fracture the cast was put on wrong and resulted in a pressure wound which resulted in underlying bone infection. In January this year the screws were removed because they were giving problems and I was put on a course of antibiotics for the bone infection which seemed to help. My heart and lungs were also bruised.I now gym 4 days a week as the doctor said I must
swim and cycle as this would help me to start walking properly again. But my feet are burning terrible now and both my legs have this permanant lame feeling. I feel that I'm not getting any better I was told this was a long term injury but I feel this is never going to get better. How do I know that the bone infection is back without having to do all the tests again
Rehabilitation after injury

Dear Jane

Unfortunately you need to see the doctor and have the necessary tests done in order to determine whether or not you have recurrence of the bone infection. Book and appointment with your doctor now.

The burning in your feet and lame feeling in your legs may be a neural problem. Did anyone assess your spine after the car accident? If you know you have a back problem, then I suggest you see an orthopaedic back specialist (physiotherapist or neurologist) and a biokineticist so that you can be properly assessed and treated.

You need to see a biokineticist to help you with your exercise program and to give you appropriate rehabilitation exercises for the calcaneous (C) fracture. The C fracture is a rather serious injury as it affects your walking, which is something you need for everyday life. You should invest in appropriate treatment for this injury.

If you were not happy with your previous treatment, remember you are always entitled to a second opinion and you doctor will not be offended if you ask him/her for a referral for a second opinion.