Question

CALCIUM / MAGNESIUM
Calcium supplements are always combined with magnesium to help the body absorb the calcium. If I eat yoghurt or drink milk there's very little magnesium. Does that mean I'm not getting the benefits of taking in dairy and should rather take a supplement? I spoke to a Woolworth's Dietitian the other day and she said that when I purchase sardines I should buy the fish packaged in olive of brine NOT soy oil because omega 3 and omega 6 should not mix because the one cancels out the other. Why would it do this?

You advised me to add more cereals to my diet. I usually purchase Hi-Fibre Brand; oats and H/W pronutro. Is this still a good idea if I have a spastic colon?

KINGS

Dear Kings
One should always remember that one does not eat food in isolation. Even if milk is not the best source of magnesium (about 50 mg per 100 ml, so you obtain 150 mg in each 300 ml cup, which is not bad actually!), you will probably eat it with other foods like cereals that contain more magnesium. I explained the story about Omega-6 and Omega-3 awhile ago on this website. Basically the 2 compete for uptake by the body and as we who eat a western diet get plenty of omega-6 from sunflower oil and margarine, we don't need more. In the meanwhile we usually don't eat sufficient omega-3 anyway, so use the tuna in brine as well as omega-3 enriched eggs and milk.
One of the dietary treatments for spastic colon is to increase dietary fibre intake, so those cereals are fine. Also try to relax as much as possible, because tension make the condition worse.