Question

Calories
Good day

Im very confused when it comes to calorie counting and kilojoules.

Please help me as I dont understand. I am following a low GI diet, but how do I know if Im eating to much or less of something.

I am overweight , I weigh 70 kg and am 1.53cm. How much calories should I consume per day.
How do u work it out, how does it work

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thnak you

Dear Charlene
Kilocalories (kcals) are the non-metric unit of energy while kilojoules (kJ) are the metric unit of measuring energy. 1 kcal = 1 kJ. So if a food contains 420 kJ this equals 100 kcal. Generally speaking adult women who need to lose weight should ingest 1500 kcal or 63000 kJ per day. If you are using a low-fat, low-GI diet then this is probably also reduced in energy and will help you lose weight. By reducing your fat intake you reduce the energy content of your diet (every gram of fat contains 37 kJ or 9 kcal). In addition the low-GI of the foods you use will help to prevent insulin resistance and this will also simulate weightloss. Increase how much energy you use on a daily basis by doing 30 min of exercise each day.