Question

28 Oct 2009

Calories per kg
I wonder if you could please tell me how many calories must be burned to loose 1kg. Thus, how many extra calories (or kilojoules) should I aim to burn each week in order to loose weight at a rate of 1 - 1.5kg per week?
(I' m a 25 yr old female with approx 15kgs to loose).

Hi CB

Well, the rule of thumb is that you need to create a deficit of 3500kcal per week to lose 1 kg per week. So that's 500 per day. Word of caution though - that's the net deficit, which means the amount you burn must be greater than intake by 500cal per day, on average. This is difficult and requires that you look at both diet and exercise.

however, more importantly, don't get stuck into playing this kind of numbers game. For example, if you miscalculate, and you're off by 200Cal per day for exercise, and 200 Cal a day on food (because you can't way everything), then you end up losing nothing. So I would strongly advise that you don't get yourself into this tangle, and focus on the principles.

If you can make common sense changes to your diet, and if you exercise regularly, then this gap will be created automatically. So it's not something you should be trying to manipulate or count the number of calories.