Question

Can cat allergies be overcome?
I love cats, but my partner is allergic to them. Obviously his health is of great concern to me, but it's too awful to think of living the rest of my life without a kitty! Is there anything we can do? He likes the critters, so if we could just prevent the red eyes and running nose ... Is there ANYTHING we can do? (Apart from popping an antihistamine every single day -- I reckon that would be unhealthy in the long run.)

Dear M
I am also allergic to cats - and I have TWO! One has to take antihistamines, but I believe ( very unscientifically of course) that I got used to my own cats and only itch when I come into contact with "strange" cats - which I by the way can't leave alone too. It may also help to use Beconase aqueous nose spray twice a day. If you can teach your cats from small to tolerate a bath, this also helps a lot as the actual allergen is their spit on the hair when they groom themselves. So if you bath them regularly, this brings down the allergy levels. ( Mine will kill me if I try to bath them but anyway...) Hope you find a solution!