Question

Can giving blood affect performance
I recently donated blood, and am now really struggling with my long distance running, i get tired very quickly, and my heart rate is rather high!

Could it be the blood donation.

Oh yes im am on blood pressure medication!

Hi Grant

Absolutely, performance is impaired after giving blood, and often by quite a big margin. Remember, your blood is what is responsible for getting oxygen and other nutrients around the body and so giving a few hundred millileters will certainly cause a big reduction in exercise performance. It can take up to two weeks to get back to normal, and if you are training for a big event, then giving blood within a month of that event is also not a good idea.

So just bear it mind, it will get better, but don't be too shocked if what used to be an easy run is suddenly very tough.