Question

can i split my cardio?
I was wondering, if its just as effective to split your cardio, say 10 or 20 mins in the morning and then another 10 or 20 mins in the evening? Or is i better to just do it all together in one go?
Also i wanted to ask you what is your opinion on the Fitness Flyer, its very similar to the health walker, is it an effeiciant way to get a cardio workout?

Hi Lilly

It depends on your goals from exercise. There is nothing wrong with splitting them up, in terms of getting a decent level of health benefits. The question is why you would want to do this? There's no benefit to be gained from it, and the only thing it does is increase the time needed to train (because you have to shower and change twice instead of once). So it's a pretty inefficient way of using your time, though this may not be a concern for you. The other thing is that if you are training for a specific event, like running, then it's better to combine them and get the benefits of that second half of the training (when things get more difficult). If your goal is just general fitness, then it doesn't really make a huge difference, but I would keep them together, just because it is easier and more practical that way.

As for the Fitness Flyer, it's not the worst thing ever, but in my experience, not as good as old-fashioned walking or running, mostly because it's such an unnatural movement. They claims it's very natural, but it certainly doesn't feel that way to me. I think it's quite restrictive and very monotonous and the important implication of this is that it becomes routine. Also, because it's a home machine, there is always a good excuse NOT to train, and that means it's less likely to work in the long term.