Question

Can kidney disfunction cause infertility?
I have kidney disfuction and I am 21yrs of age,so I want to know if it wil affect my reproductivity as I get older and want to have children? Wil it limit the number of children I want to have?

Dear Lady Kay

Unfortunately there is insufficient information as to what the natural of the kidney dysfunction is. Should the cause of the dysfunction be congenital i.e. inherited by birth, then there is a possibility that there could be internal gynaecological abnormalities as well which need to be investigated for. However simple urinary tract infections are unlikely to result in fertility problems. It is only in advanced cases of renal impairment where at least 50%- 60% of kidney is non-functional but your fertility would be then impaired.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim