Question

Can my car take unleaded petrol?
How can I find out specifically whether my poor old car can take the new petrol, and what can I do about it?
EnviroHealth expert
envirohealth expert

If your car is older than 10 years, it may not be able to take unleaded petrol – but don’t despair. It just means that you may have to use lead replacement petrol. If your car can in fact use unleaded, it may still need an additive to prevent engine damage. In addition, you may have to have your engine timing adjusted. To find out the specific requirements for your vehicle, have a look at the website of the National Association of Automobile Manufacturers of SA (Naamsa): www.naamsa.co.za. They have a database of most makes of cars and what fuels to use. This info should also soon be available in brochures at petrol stations.

I too have a poor old car.