Question

Can not get any health insurance
Due to my previous medical history I am unable to take out any policies for disability cover. I suffer from Bipolar Disorder, which is well controlled, but had renal TB in 1998. I also have other chronic illnessess. What to you suggest I do?
Money Expert
Money Expert

Hi Martiza
What do you mean by "Health insurance". If you are referring to medical aids then you can not be excluded - there will certainly be some waiting periods but no permanent exclusions.
If you are referring to disability and severe illness (dread disease) cover through an insurance company then it is possible that you will be excluded or loaded by the insurance company. I recommend that you find a financial plannner who can help you submit an application to a few companies and see what their response is. Remember to disclose all information to them - let them decide what is relevent/important. It is possible that they might give you cover for some conditions and exclude others...this is reasonable. Also try to find out if they might review the decision in a year's time.