Question

Can you eat too much salad
I am tired of loosing the battle of the buldge with fad diets, pills, shakes and whatever else is the latest craze. I now only eat fish, chicken and salads and have red meat once a week with salad! I make my salad portions quite big and I was just wondering if you could actually eat too much salad and then it doesn't actually work. I only eat one kind of salad - tomatoe, lettuce, cucumber, a bit of cheddar cheese and then some trim mayo - is that ok?

Dear Fairylight
Salad vegetables such as lettuce, cucumber, tomato, sweet peppers, water cress and gherkins are all classified as 'free foods' because they have such a low energy content (they mainly consist of water). So you can eat large quantities of these free foods to fill you up and provide some extra nutrients such as vit C (tomato). I am just concerned that your diet will be unbalanced if you don't also include some additional milk and dairy products such as fat-free yoghurt and cottage cheese to ensure that you don't develop a calcium deficiency which can lead to osteoporosis. Do you also exclude all grains and cereals? if so, you may get very constipated and lack B vitamins. It is always better to use a balanced slimming diet to achieve the desired results. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a balanced, low-fat, high-fibre slimming diet, compare with what you are eating and make the necessary adjustments. Keep in mind that regular exercise of 30 min a day will also improve your weight loss.