Question

Can&#39 t maintain weight
I am a 40yr old Female. I have a small frame. My height is 1.57m. I find that I lose weight easily and struggle to pick it up again. I have had a full check up a while ago and everything is fine. I frequently take Ensure or similiar products to try to increase my weight. I am fairly active. At the moment I weigh 48.5kg. Do you think I am underweight? If so, how can I gain weight?

Dear Mary
Like the previous Reader your BMI = 19,7 which is very low. You would need to weigh 54 kg to have an ideal BMI of 22. Start taking the Ensure again, but use it every day because ingesting 200 ml 3x a day, should result in a gain of 1 kg per week. Once you have regained your weight, take a maintenance dose of Ensure every day to prevent weightloss. For basic information on weight gaining, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles.