Ask an expert

27 Feb 2009

Can having a overgrowth of Candida cause you to battle to loose weight.
I am forever batteling with vaginal candida infection, no matter what I do.
I have been trying to loose weight and nothing seems to really work. It will take me a month to loose 2kg and the moment I go off the diet, 2 days and the 2kg is back again.
I do excercise(30-45min cardio vascular trampoline jumping per day), but not even this seems to make a difference in the kilograms, it does seem to firm me up though.
Some people suggest it might be hormones. I am 36, have had a partial historectomy 5 years ago.
Answer 336 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Mandie
I don't think that your recurrent Candida is preventing you from losing weight. Some of the leading microbiologists in SA have stated in public that dietary factors do NOT affect Candida infections and cutting out foods like fruit, sugar and wheat will effectively starve the patient, but not affect the Candida organism! All human beings live in harmony with millions of yeasts such as Candida which occur naturally on our bodies. If something upsets the balance between the 'good' microorganisms and the potentially 'bad' organisms like Candida, then the Candida starts to flourish and you get infections. Factors that can promote the overgrowth of 'bad' microorganisms like Candida are stress, hormone treatments, antibiotics, obesity, etc. It may be useful for your Dermatologist to test a swab of your infection (e.g. the vagina, mouth, etc) to see which type of Candida you suffer from as different strains react to different antifungal preparations. It helps to use probiotics or 'good microorganisms' like Acidoforte by mouth and Vagiforte by vagina (buy at health shops) to help combat the Candida. If you had a partial hysterectomy or if you take female hormone supplementation this can affect your ability to lose weight. Then other hormones like the thyroid and insulin can play an important role. I would suggest that you consult a physician to have your hormones tested and if you should suffer from insulin resistance to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low fat content and a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day like the trampoline jumping you do, can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so keep up the good work.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9270 votes
66% - 17925 votes