Question

carbo loading
HI ... I started running 12 months ago and am about to run my first half marathon. What is carbo loading???? but I need to watch my weight as I am over weight.
FitnessDoc(wow)

HI there

It's not really necessary to carbo-load before a half-marathon - all it means is upping your carbohydrate intake so that you have adequate supplies when you are doing long-distance running. Just make sure that you have a balanced meal the night before, perhaps with some extra carbohydrates, but nothing excessive. Also don't eat a fibre-rich or fatty meal, since this might cause gastro-intestinal discomfort as you run.

On the morning of the half-marathon - eat a light breakfast of two slices of white toast with jam or honey - or if you don't fancy eating - drink at least 250 ml of an energy drink.
During the event, you will probably receive some Coke every 3km's or so. Have a few mouthfuls of this, or alternate Coke with water and you should be fine.

ENJOY THE EVENT!