Question

carbs
I was just wanting to know when you are trying to loose weight , ehat carbs are good and what are bad.? I have heard of people loding up on carbs, to excecise. I am doing gym, so am I aloud carbs, because it does seem to me that they are the culprits for gaining!!!!!!!!!

Dear Mia
For carbo-loading athletes are supposed to use wholewheat bread, biscuits and crackers, unprocessed cereals (oats, HighFibre Bran, unsifted maize meal, Maltabella), brown rice, potato, pasta, jam, sugar, honey, fruit juices and energy drinks. Carbs are not what makes people gain weight - after all probably the fittest and leanest athletes in the world, the Tour de France cyclists, obtain 75% of more of their energy from carbs. Fat is the nutrient that makes people fat, so if you eat the carbs without adding fat at every opportunity (sour cream on potato, mayonnaise, etc), and exercise regularly then carbs will not make you gain weight.