Question

Carrot juice...
I came across an article in Health24 today, where the eating habbits of kids are dicussed, especially related to fruit/vegetables. I have a problem with both my kids not eating alot of vegetables and try not to make a major issue about it everytime, but I must admit that I sometimes force them to eat even 3 peas! So, my major concern is yellow and green veggies; pumpkin is the only vegetable they'll eat. My question is: is the carrot in carrot & pineapple juice you get in your local supermarket, as effective as carrot on its own?

Dear Bianca
Children can be most trying when it comes to eating a balanced diet. However, the more you emphasise and force them to eat certain foods, the more they will rebel. They may also be seeking attention with this avoidance of vegies. Certain vegies are also an acquired taste and children may not like them very much, e.g. broccoli. Let them eat that pumpkin which is an excellent source of vit A and beta-carotene and by all means use the carrot and pineapple juice which also contributes these nutrients to the diet. If your children are eating fruit and are otherwise healthy and happy, then just give them a chance, no mention of 'Eat up your vegies' and a casual approach and one fine day they will surprise you when they start eating vegies too.