Question

23 Apr 2006

Cat has cancer of the eye and spreading - been told to contact Cape Animal Clinic
I have amongst my 14 cats, my first black and white cat who has cancer of the eye. She has had two cryonisations and this past year two operations on her eye. It looked successful each time but we are back to square one with the whole getting closer to the eye and spreading through to the nose. I have been taking her for regular check-ups but my vet says even if he took her eye out it wouldn't help. I asked if there was nothing anyone could do and he suggested getting advice from Cape Animal Clinic which turns out to be Cybervet for this column and I must ask for Dr Gary Bauer. I live in George and i have checked your site and see you sometimes have clinics in places including George. Could you please advise me re my cat. Some people think I am cruel to subject my cat to possible chemotherapy but I have checked and apparently cats do not suffer from side effects. Cybervet, can you please help me as my vet has told me I must come to terms with having to put her down in the near future. She is not in pain at the moment - it is only a nuisance to her taking the scab off as soon as it forms a hard crust but I would like to save her as cats are my life. She is 10 years old and has never given me any other problems before. Thank you for your advice.
cybervet

It is very difficult to give specific advice without an examination. The type of cancer as well as the extent of the cancer will determine the type of treatment. Timing is important, and the sooner it is examined the better. The clinics up the coast are only performed every three to four months and that may be too long and interval to wait. I cannot tell whether we'd be able to do anything for your cat without an examination. There are many different types of treatment, including chemotherapy and radiation therapy. These treatments often have no or very few side-effects, however will not always be performed, depending on the problem. You may have to bring your kitty down to Cape Town for an examination and possible treatment.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town