Question

Cellibacy

I read all your articles in the Rolling Inspiration Mag (Only 3 mags out thus far) and find them interesting.... Your work with disabled people must be challenging, not being in a relationship with a disable person yourself. My question is: if physical sex is NOT possible, is celibacy the answer? If so, what are the benefits and disadvantages therof?

Thank you so much for your e-mail. I have spent a lot of time working with physically disabled people, so I don't have to have relationships to understand disability. That is the wonderful part of my work, wonderful people allow me into their lives and they share their personal emotions with me.

You don't tell me your disability, so I can't say whether physical sex is possible or not. However, it brings me back to "what is sex". Does it has to be penetration to be classed as "sex"?

I have two very beautiful videos, which you might have seen, "Sexuality reborn" and "Untold Desires", both look at sexuality for people in chairs. If you are in my area you are welcome to make contact and come and view the videos in your own time. Write to me at sexually@702.co.za or I can put you in touch with someone in your area.

Touch is possibly the most important part of loveplay. There are so many options that why should a couple settle for celibacy. It also depends on your partner, is he /she an able bodied person? Sometimes if both partners are disabled it can be difficult and assistance might be necessary from an outsider (this is often very uncomfortable or even embarrassing for the couple).

Please write an give me more information about your injury.

Thank you for highlighting Rolling Inspirations. For those that do not know, this is a Lifestyle magazine for people in wheelchairs. A beautiful glossy magazine that comes out quarterly. For more information contact : Peter Buteux at PeterB@primemags.co.za

Dr Elna Mcintosh