Question

Centipede bite
I was bitten by a centipede on Monday night. As I have been bitten a couple of times before I wasn't to worried. This time however I got bitten on my head while sleeping. Where the bite mark would normally have dissappeared by now, the area is slightly swollen, with puss forming in the hair follicles. My occipital gland behind my ear is also swollen. As I do not live close to medical help I would like to know what to look out for?Also, would Anthisan, Phenergan or Savlon ointment help? I have started taking Genpayne as of last night to try and stop infection. How long before I know it does or does not work? Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks for the help.
Cyberdoc

Dear S.J.

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Your are developing cellulitis, due to the centipede bite. This would explain the redness, pussiness, as well as enlarged occipital gland. I suggest that you take a short course of anti-biotics, i.e. Augmentum and anti-inflammatories, i.e. Voltaren tablets.

If the bite mark forms an abscess, it should be surgically drained.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger