Question

Chances of falling pregnant
Hi doc,

I want to know what the chances are in each cycle to fall pregnant (ie. percentage chance). I have just turned 30.

Also, I stopped the pill 4 months ago to TTC our 2nd child. My first AF (after pill AF) arrived on day 36, last month AF arrived on day 31 & now this month it only arrived on day 33. I thought by now my cycle would be looking regular& didn't expect it to come this late? I really thought I was pregnant this month as I've had tender breasts for the past 4 days or so as well as slight lower abdominal pain.
fertility expert

Dear SLC

The percentage chance of falling pregnant per cycle is approximately 15%. It may well be that your cycle length has altered since stopping the pill and this may point to an underlying hormonal imbalance which was masked or camouflaged by the oral contraceptive.

I would therefore recommend a thorough hormone profile be undertaken as soon as possible to exclude the possibility of a thyroid imbalance or the possibility of raised prolactin levels and also to exclude an ovarian hormone imbalance as well.

The breast tenderness is a non-specific sign and may also occur in patients with very high progesterone levels just prior to menstruation as part of premenstrual syndrome.