Question

Check-up
Dear Doc

I had a large ovarian tumour (chocolate cyst) removed 5 months ago. I'm 22 years old and that was the first time that I had been to see a gynae. On advice of my gynae, I have been skipping the placebo pills of my contraceptive for the last 5 months to avoid having periods.

My gynae told me to go back for a check-up 6 months after the operation. I'm rather anxious about it probably because I don't know what to expect! Please will you advise what sort of test(s) the gynae will do next month. Will it be a vaginal scan? Do you think that I will be told to continue skipping the placebo tablets?

Many thanks for your advice!

A chocolate cyst suggests endometriosis. The check-up will be to look for recurrences of this and will involve an internal examination and very likely a vaginal scan. If there are no signs or symptoms of recurrence then it will probably be okay to stop skipping the placebos.