Question

Chemotherapy and Infertility
Hi! My fiancee had cancer(leukemia) when he was a little boy.(Grade 5 to grade 7).Luckily he got through it and is fine now.Ive heard that chemotherapy could prevent males from ever having kids.But he had it when he was so young.Could this be a problem for us in the future? He really wants children one day.I have spoken to him about this.I asked whether he can have kids.He told me that he doesnt know, probably his mother never asked the doctor to do tests.But they did do tests on his liver/kidney function.He obtained a liver/kidney disease as result of the chemo.Could you tell me more about this problems in liver function that chemotherapy could cause and also about the factors that contribute to infertility as result of chemotherapy? What, as a doctor, do you think are the probability if him being infertile? I dont want to ask him to run ests.Im afraid ill bruise his male ego!? What do you think? Please give me information about: a)the liver/kidney disease and b)Infertility as results of chemotherapy.Thank you.

Dear Pinky Ponk
Usually fertility returns after the patient stops chemotherapy. Unfortunately one would not know what they gave him so a sperm test would be the easiest way to determine if everything is all right. Maybe that would also put his mind at rest?
Chemotherapy is toxic to cells and sensitive organs like the liver and or kidney may be affected or damaged - also depends on what drugs they use.