Question

Chest pains
Dear Doc,

Since I was a child I have had some sporadic pains in my lungs, leaving me breathless at times. It only lasts a few minutes, but is quite painful. I went to the doctor once and he said that I probably had an infection in the fibres of my lungs and that it should dissappear when I turned around 22 to 23. I am turning 24 on the 24th and the past the year the pains have increased in their frequency and in their pain. It feels like a stabbing pain and is mostly in my right lung. I am unable to breathe even lightly and have to wait for the pain to subside before I can breathe and need to wait even longer before I can take a deep breath without experiencing pain. I am unable to find any pattern for these pains and I am normally not excercising when getting them. What is this and is it problamatic?

ST, I have no idea what it is, but it is “problematic” as it’s bothering you. It sounds like it might be due to pleuritis (inflammation on the sack around the lungs) or maybe adhesions in or around this sack. I suppose I can keep on guessing until next week, but in the end I won’t be able to give you a definite answer without being able to examine you. The best would probably be to see a pulmonologist (lung specialist) and have it sorted out. Good luck.