Question

Chiari - who to see
I have been diagnosed with a Chiari malformation (8mm herniation)

The neurologists I have consulted can only treat symptomatically (ie. with medication) and the long term use of the meds is damaging.

I have seen a Neuro-surgeon, but he does not have much experience with Chiari and is also loath to do anything.

My symptoms are worsening and I am now having seizure type episodes.

Where can I find out who in Cape Town has decent experience in dealing with this condition ?
Headache expert
Headache expert

Dear Lesley,

The only neurosurgeon that I know in Cape Town who operates on Arnold-Chiari malformations is Roger Melville on 021 797 4330. No doubt there are others, but I am not aware of them.