Ask an expert

19 Aug 2011

Chiari - who to see
I have been diagnosed with a Chiari malformation (8mm herniation)

The neurologists I have consulted can only treat symptomatically (ie. with medication) and the long term use of the meds is damaging.

I have seen a Neuro-surgeon, but he does not have much experience with Chiari and is also loath to do anything.

My symptoms are worsening and I am now having seizure type episodes.

Where can I find out who in Cape Town has decent experience in dealing with this condition ?
Answer 1,219 views
Headache expert
Headache expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Lesley,

The only neurosurgeon that I know in Cape Town who operates on Arnold-Chiari malformations is Roger Melville on 021 797 4330. No doubt there are others, but I am not aware of them.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9269 votes
66% - 17914 votes