Question

02 Apr 2007

Child Abuse
I have recently found out that my mentally disabled brother-in-law has been inappropriately touching my niece who is 5 years old. My bro-in-law looks normal however has a mentality of a 5 year old. I have a 9 year old daughter and am so worried that he may have "touched" her. she used to love sleeping over at my parents and at my in-laws house. Now if you ask her if should would like to sleep over she immediately starts crying. It has actually come to a point that myself and my husband cannot leave her at night at someone's house unless we promise not to be late and promise to wake her up if she is sleeping. We have spoken to her and asked if anything has ever happened at someone's house that we need to be aware of, her answer is always no, just wants to stay by mom and dad. How do I know if she has been abused?

With his low IQ, despite his age in calendar years, his behaviour is that of a curious 5-year-old. If your daughter shows signs of fear / distaste about the prospect of sleeping over at the house he shares, this may well suggest that he may have attempted to interfere with her. But on the other han d kids can show such separation anxiety at other times, for no clear reason.
It would inded be a good idea to take your daughter ro see a child shrink for discussion and assessment, and of course this would be wise for the neice, too. The BIL might be helped, if he too was re-assessed by a suitable shrink, by medication to reduce his libido and interest in sex. His parents cannot aford to ignore this and pretend nothign is happening, or they will increase the chances that he will indedd be taken away from the,.