Question

04 Apr 2007

Child crying over things she thinks
Pls assist with the following doc. Me and my 5 1/2 yr old daughter would be driving in the car, and all of a sudden she would start crying 'real tears'. Worried and confused i would ask her what the matter is, thinking that she maybe hurt herself. She would then tell me "i was thinking that you were gone forever' or "i was thinking that i got lost and you's couldn't find me". I would then comfort her and assure her that this would never happen and that i will always be by her. I give her alot of love everyday, letting her know that I love her and that she is special.
Is this a problem, something to worry about? Is there anything I can do to help this not happen. Is this just a phase she is going thru? Thanx...

She is talking about, thinking about and responding to, fears of losing you and your love --- there's no point inm our speculating about why that might be happening, but seeing a child shrink could be the most efficient way of exploring this and putting it right. As M says, it could be in reaction to a wide range of experiences suggestive of loss and impermanence, including moving home, school, or other major changes in her life.