Ask an expert

15 Mar 2004

Child support
Hi, I need to find out whom I can contact regarding child support. I can't afford a lawyer. This is my story. I have a 16 year old son from my first marriage, I have remarried and I have got two children from this marriage, the problem is my ex-husband is always making excuse when I ask for help with my eldest son’s needs. Firstly he is in grade 10, his school fees is R1050 a month, he needs art and technical drawing stationery, which I have asked his father on numerous occasion to help out, which he hasn’t. From the age of 2yrs to 12 years he has been on my husband’s medical aid, his father has only just put him on his when I had my third son. He gives me R500 a month, which I am grateful for, but I need him to help out with other things too, like helping out with his stationary, school uniform, clothes, textbooks, exercise books etc. I can’t afford to do all this on my own and I can’t expect my husband to do it as he has his own children to support. I am no asking him to do everything; I just want him to cover his school fees. He has two kids from anther marriage which stay with him and his is married ageing third time. I know that he has responsibilities to them to but he helps them more than his son. He never bothers to call his son to find out how he is or if he needs anything. How can I get help regarding this matter? Am I been unreasonable in wanting more for my son?
Answer 344 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Money,
I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I think that a man who can't fully support his existing three kids, should not be marrying again and risking ading more unsupported kids to that total.
Check with your local law Socety, they used to have a scheme allowing you to have one free short consultaton with a lawyer. Your nearest university with a Law School also ought to have a free law CLinic that could help. Finally, I understand that if you check out your local magistrate's Court, they ought to have a Family Advocate or some such official dealing with matters of custody and maintenance, who could advise you on your rights and on how best to exercise them.
And as for the maintenance courts being slow and inefficient --- what government dept isn't ? But one reason they are able to stay negligent, uncaring and inefficient, is because we tend to give up and leave them to dream on, instead of continuing to ask them to do their job, effectively and efficiently.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9269 votes
66% - 17914 votes