Ask an expert

10 Nov 2006

I wanted to know if there are any medication to erase some of my childhood memory. I was sexual assaulted growing up by my uncle and my cousin. Those childhood event come back as flashes and are ruining my life. Is there anything I can do.
Answer 402 views

01 Jan 0001

No, there isn't, and that's not the way to go, though I really understand what you want and why you want it. Best to see a Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy psychologist ( NOT a hypnotist or psychoanalyst ), and NOT someone who is too interested in such problems and specializes exclusively in problems of people who were abused as children, as too many of them use unscientific and ineffective methods, and are working on their own agenda, and not on yours
What one can achieve with proper counselling, isn't to erase the memories, but to place thjem in perspective, and let them rest, and move on with the rest of your life, the happier part of it. As Chelle says, do NOT accept anyone who , apart from an initial assessment to udnerstand the problem, wants to spend long sessions purely in the past and reviewing tiny details of what happened. What happened to you was indeed awful, but it is neither necessary nor useful to try to remember all of iot. The details are actually unimportant --- what is important NOW, are the conclusions you formed from those experiences, the assumptions you have made about yourself and your expectations of life, and to be able to review and revise those.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9320 votes
67% - 18606 votes