Ask an expert

21 Feb 2013

Childrens best interest
Here''s my scenario :

Divorced 3 years, joint custody, kids live with me (mom).

Child (8) has struggled socially her whole life, has been in therapy, was held back starting school as not ''emotionally ready'', was then in therapy with the school phycologist - the ex didnt like phycologist or her ''findings'' and diagnosis - cut child therapy.

Childs teacher has now phoned me, to say my child is REALLY struggling socially and now academically as well!!! Falling behind, not coping, crying alot, making excuses as to why crying - and recommends a complete educational assessment. Now the school phycologist recommended taking her to a Peadiatric Phyciatrist - (appt made) and now the teacher is recommending Behavioural - educational assesment. I dont mind doing both - however the ex doesnt want to go this route - he believes there is nothing wrong with the child, doesnt need play therapy or to see a phyciatrist. Now because we have joint custody, I cant do any of these things without his buy in.

What can I legally (and for the benefit of my child) do, if the father doesnt want to listen to ANY of the people who are trying to help us in helping our child? If he says NO to play therapy, behavioral assesment and phyciatrists - is he the final word? What can I do, to ensure that my child is treated as all these fully trained and qualified people are advising me/us?

Do I need to take him to court? And if so - what court?
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9326 votes
67% - 18775 votes