Question

Chlamydia & Infertility
I'm 30yrs old & I'm trying to conceive my 2nd child. My worry is that a few years back, I've tested positive with the chlamydia infection. I wasn't aware that I've had it for a while. I was treated and the infection was cured, but when I tested afew weeks back, I was 2.8 positive . Now, I would like to know if this virus could've infected me to be infertile , or what are my chances of falling pregnant again?
fertility expert

Dear Worried

I do apologise for the delayed response.

Chlamydia is a much more common infection than we are lead to believe. Typically, it does give you too many symptoms and therefore many chlaymida infections are inciduos or sub-clinical.

Occasionally, patients may be alerted to the presence of this infection by having vague, lower abdominal pains, a slight low grade temperature and it is important to note that there is no characteristic abnormal discharge that accompnies this infection.

However, by contrast, the type of internal damage to the tubes and ovaries could be quite significant despite the minimal amount of symptoms. Chlymadia is certainly an important cause of infertility primariliy based on scar tissue formation and tubal damage. ie it can cause significant blockage of the tubes and can damage the internal environment of the tube and therefore can impair sperm transport as well increase the risk of ectopic pregnancies. The fact that the reult is still positive does not mean that you have any active infection but is evidenvce that you were exposed to this infection in the past.

I would recommend that you do a laparoscopic evaluation of your pelvis to ascertain if any internal damage has been caused due to this infection.