Question

cholesteral
I read recently in an overseas medical journal that the total cholesteral is not as important as the percentage relationship between the good and bad cholesteral, are you able to explain in more detail please
thanks from steve.

Dear Steve
Whew this is rather a complex subject that I did write about in greater detail awhile ago (Check on 'Diet' and 'View old Diet & food site' and browse). Basically there are different type of cholesterol in the blood - LDL-chol or 'Bad' chol and HDL-chol or 'Good' chol. Anything that increases bad chol and/or decreases good chol will have a negative effect on heart health. For example taking omega-3 fatty acid supplements will lower bad chol and increase good chol, as will the use of monounsaturated fats and oils (olive, avocado, etc). So it is not always the total amount of cholesterol per se that we ingest, but also a complex interplay of many other dietary factors that determines the blood chol levels.