Question

Cholesterol
Dear DietDoc,

I am 25, 1.6m and 53kg. I was tested for Low Blood Pressure last week and the docter took blood for tests and found that my iron is very low and that I have high cholesterol of 6.4. I was given a diete to follow with 3 different menus. Do you perhapse have a diete for cholesterol for me and may I eat melons? I exercise every day for 45 minutes.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Milla

Dear Milla
Seeing that your present BMI = 20,7, which is below the ideal of 22, you certainly don't need to lose weight. If you click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet', you will obtain a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet, which will also help with the cholesterol. Because you don't want to lose any weight, you can eat the permitted foods in larger portions. I trust the dr has prescribed an iron-folic acid supplement for you? You need to take this supplement for at least 3 months to replenish your body iron stores. Foods that are rich in iron are: red meat, organ meats like liver, fish and egg yolk, dried fruit and iron-fortified breakfast cereals. To keep your cholesterol intake low while still providing dietary iron, you need to eat the leanest types of meat and restrict your liver intake to once a week. Also don't add a lot of fat when cooking - grill, steam, oven bake, fry in a non-stick pan with Spray and Cook. According to the SA Heart Foundation you may eat 4 eggs a week, despite your raised cholesterol levels - try to buy omega-3 enriched eggs which help to combat raised cholesterol levels, but still provide the iron you require.