Question

cholesterol diet
Dear DietDoc

In May last year I happened to have my cholesterol levels checked and over 3 months my readings were about 7.3, 8.3 & 8.6 My GP put me onto Lipitor 10mg to start with after my 3rd reading and I had tests done every 2/3 months and my results came down quite well. Earlier this year my levels went up slightly again and he changed my medication to 20mg and my levels were then fine. I have been (what I believe!) quite careful with my diet, I don't eat eggs during the week, just on the weekend and even then not all the time. I use low fat milk. I do eat red meat, but not what I believe are excessive amounts. I had another cholesterol test yesterday (Thurs) and my levels have gone up to 7.3 My levels were fine in Sept (beg Sept - 5.5 and end Sep 5.0). Unfortunately I don't know the breakdown readings, i.e. the HDL, LDL, triglycerides, but it would seem that my LDL levels are high. What am I doing wrong in my diet?! My GP now says I have to cut out red meat and eggs! I have to confess I don't eat much fruit, would this help? I am going away to Umhlanga on 21 for a week and don't want to have my holiday ruined by having to focus so much on what I am eating. I do suffer from kidney problems (chronic kidney infections), which are being treated by my gp/urologist.

Would I manage to get away with cutting down on red meat (not excluding it totally). I have to have another test in Jan, so I imagine my GP would expect my levels to have come down by then!

Any advice you have would be appreciated.

Dear Reader
I would like to suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings, and keep in mind that most people will be on holiday), who will help you to work out a diet that will keep those cholesterol levels lower. Try and concetrate on eating lots of fresh fruit and veg, low-fat milk and yoghurt, fish, lean meat, and wholegrain cereals and grains. Buy Flora pro.activ margarine and try using it as some patients manage to reduce their cholesterol by up to 30% with this product that contains plant sterols which interfere with cholesterol uptake from the diet. You can also try taking Salmon oil capsules which are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which lower cholesterol. While on holiday do plenty of walking in the fresh air and swimming.
Enjoy the holiday