Question

Cholesterol Lowering Diet for Starch intolerance
Hi!

One of my colleagues has to start a cholesterol lowering diet but she can''t eat any starchy foods!
What can you recommend for her?

Kind regards,

H. Bougas

Somerset West

Dear Helena
Because your colleague has to reduce her cholesterol intake and you mention that she suffers from starch intolerance, I can only recommend that she should consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
The dietitian will have to work out what your friend can and cannot eat, if patients need to cut out cholesterol and starch they cna probably only eat fruits, vegetables, certain legumes and fat-free milk and dairy products. The dietitian will also have to see what supplements your colleague may need because if she only eats fruits, vegetables and dairy products, she may need to take iron, zinc and possibly vit B12 supplements as well.