Question

Choosing a shrink
Hi CS,
What qualities do a good shrink posess? When choosing a shrink, what should I look out for?

No bravery, despite a very inaccurate nickbname !, has given an excellent answer. I'd add, if you are looking for a talking therapy / counselling, look for someone practising CBT ( COgnitive-behaviour Therapy ) or some variation of it, as that is the only technique with good research proving it to be successful and lasting in its benefits. Be very cautious about anyone who wants to use analytic methods ( lie on the couch and tell me about your earliest memories ) or hypnosis ; indeed, anyone too eager to apply a one size fits all method, rather than tailoring his/her approach to your uniqueness.