Question

Chromium and side effects?
Hi DietDoc,
On your recommendation, I have started taking a chromium supplement (200mcg once daily) to try and shift those last couple of kilo's I gained as a result of an undiagnosed thyroid problem. However, I have noticed that I start shaking slightly and feeling quite nauseous and clammy after taking them (lasts for about an hour). I almost feel faint, although I've never fainted before. I suffer from occassional low blood sugar and the symptoms are almost exactly alike, without the racing heart. Is this a common side effect, or am I simply odd! The supplement also contains Nicotinamide (10mg), Pyridoxine (5mg) and Thiamine (10mg).
Much appreciated!

Dear Ajay
It could be that the chromium clears glucose out of your blood stream quite rapidly which may make your hypoglycaemia worse, but it could also be that the hypoglycaemia is due to not eating sufficient. Stop taking the tablets and concentrate on doing exercise to shift the last few kg, as this will also improve your hypoglycaemia.