Ask an expert

09 Mar 2003

Chronic headache on right side of face
Dear Doctor,

I used ot get really chronically painful headaches on the right side of my face, including my nose, teeth, neck and head, these were so painfull I did not know what to do, I used to writhe around on the bed in tears as they were so painful, to the extent that I sometimes wished I would die rather than live with this pain. All of a sudden they dissapeared and I thought I was over with it, last week they started again, on Tuesday it was at 11pm at night and did not get so bad, it progressed until they are now totally unbearalbe again, on Friday at 3pm I sat on the couch crying because I did not know what to do, I got some pain killers from my mom, but only take them if I really need to, which is probably 2 in one day I also take other pain killers (Tensodol) often. The problem I have is that the minute I feel a headache starting I probably overdose on these as I am so scared that the headache will develop to a full blown one, if I leave them untreated and take nothing they never last more than 2 to 3 hours so I think they are cluster headaches. I did go to the headache clinic two years ago and had a plate made for my mouth but it did nothing to stop them or alleviate the pain. I am at my wits end and am wondering what I can do. It seems that they are seasonal as they usually start when we start moving into autumn and then continue through winter but when spring comes and through summer I never even have a slight headache, could these be seaonal. Another thing I noticed this week is that if I am sitting or in the bath or bending down and I stand up I almost have a balckout where I have to grab hold of something to prevent me from falling over, when I was oyunger I used ot have fainting spells for about a year but have never fainter since then, that is about 25 years ago now. Thank you for your excellent help and I look forward to hearing from you.
Answer 538 views

01 Jan 0001

Maltete, it sounds like you might suffer from cluster headaches or a form of migraine. It also sounds like you might have low blood pressure. It might be to a host of things; the most common one being anaemia. You will have to see a specialist because these things seriously affect one’s quality of life.
If you live near Pretoria, I can refer you to an excellent neurologist, but otherwise you will have to ask your GP to refer you.
If you’re interested in a copy of something I wrote on the most common types of headaches, you can mail me at Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9270 votes
66% - 17922 votes