Ask an expert

19 Jul 2011

Hi Doc,

My Hubby was precribed Cilift by our GP, he''s been given a 6 month prescription till end of Sept.

He has difficulty handling stressfull personal situations eg. finances, marriage, parenthood etc... he also tends to get aggressive when faced with minor situations etc. We decided to go see our GP about this when I noticed that he would sometimes withdraw himself from his family and start telling me that he thinks he''s not good enough.

My husband sometimes forget to take he''s meds or he will just not take them over weekends even thought our GP has specifically told him not to skip a day.

He''s been telling me that he''s thinking of not taking the Cilift anymore ''cause he thinks he can do without them ''cause he feels that he has made alot of improvement and can cope on his own for now. (He''s only been taking them for 4months)

Is this advisable, should he not complete the 6months period and go back to our GP for an assessment of some sort?

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank you!
Answer 437 views

01 Jan 0001

Cilift is for many people an effective antidepressant. But where there are problems of difficulties in handling stress and personal issues, it is always wisest to add counselling, especially of the CBT format. If one has a real, properly diagnosed depression, it lasts usually 9 months or longer, so we advise one take the AD meds for at least 9 months before stopping, orm there's a larger risk of the depression returning.
I also always recommend that a person be re-assessed by the GP or, better, psychiatrist before stopping meds. It is also important to stop such meds gradually, as the doctor can advise, as suddenly just stopping can cause unpleasant symptoms for a while.
Missing an odd day's tabs now and then may not be a problem, but it's not advisable. That's like ordering an expensive meal at a restaurant, and then not bothering to eat it.
If the depression returns and/or the interpersonal and life problems return, have him see a psychiatrist for a fresh and expert assessment, rather than relying only on the GP
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.