Question

Circumcision neccesary
Hi Doc,

Hoping you can help.

I am a 35 year old man with type 2 diabetes (this is under control most of the time!) For the past few months i have noticed "tears" on the tip of my penis. These have become quite bothersome as making love to my wife has become a mission filled with pain!!

they are not healing at all... at the moment it looks like cracks all around the tip. I am wtarting to think that a circumcision is my only recourse. What is your opinion.

Also, please let me know how long one is out of commission for, and how long the procedure takes. Are you in hosp for a few days? How do you go about this. Do i need a referral from my GP?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Dear JT
This can be a sign of candida infection of the foreskin, quite common with diabetes. Try Canesten vaginal cream and sporanox or diflucan tablets, if it persists, you can go for a circumcision, you don't have to stay in hospital, but some urologists may want to admit you because you are diabetic? Talk to your GP first, maybe you don't have to go the drastic way?