Question

10h ago

Citronella Collars
Does anyone know where I might be able to get a citronella collar from in order to stop my dog barking at night, as I am getting complaints. Is this a cruel conditioning method? Is there a better way to solve the problem?

Many Thanks
cybervet

Hi Blaze
Dogs bark for a reason. If your dog is barking excessively then it is because he is anxious for some reason. He may be cold or uncomfortable or just lonely. If he is an outside dog then I presume part of his purpose is to be a watchdog, but if he is barking and you aren't taking any notice, then he cannot do his job. On the other hand, if he was allowed to sleep inside (perhaps in the kitchen), he would not be so anxious and if he did bark you would take more notice - better watchdog! If you are determined to stop your dog barking altogether (becoming a useless watchdog) contact Securipet in Gauteng, as they have a range of training collars and tools. They also have a website.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST