Question

Clomid treatment causing frustration
Hi all

My wife is on her second and stronger round of Clomid and we are getting frustrated. Even before fertility treatment, she has been prone to ovarian cysts and this morning I read on a website: " Patients being treated for infertility by ovulation induction with gonadotropins or other agents, such as clomiphene citrate or letrozole, may develop cysts as part of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome" . Is this true? And what should the next questions be that we are asking her doctor?

She is due for a check up next week to determine if there has been sufficient ovarion stimulation with the Clomid. Someone please help!!!!

Dear Ruane

The use of Clomiphene Citrate and Letrozole may increase the chances of the development cysts and in addition may increase your chances of having ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. Even the use of drugs such as FSH may also increase the chances of developing cysts. The first thing that I would suggest you find out if you do not want to use Clomid is, is there an issue to use Clomid or not in the first place, in other words are your ovulating without Clomid and if you have the need to use Clomid then one would use the lowest dose possible to try and achieve ovulation. In addition while you on the use of Clomid one can monitor follicular growth and the development of cysts so that cycles can be abandoned if there is an increase risk of cyst development or ovarian hyperstimulation.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo